News Sections
Brush Fire Damages Conservation Club Property
Updated May 5, 2013 1:08 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(LINTON) - Linton FIre Chief Brad Sparks says a brush fire scorched approximately one acre of land belonging to the Linton Conservation Club on Monday.

The fire, which was reported around 1:45 p.m., left the area near one of the ponds on the property with a large charred area. Sparks says there was no other damage.

"It was probably someone on an ATV or motorcycle who flipped a cigarette butt on the ground," Sparks said. "That mixed with the dry conditions could have gotten it started."

Firefighters Ross Gentry and Jayson Smith, along with Sparks, used the department's brush truck to extinguish the blaze and prevented what could have been a larger fire due to the current drought conditions.

"It's been really dry and we've been hit pretty hard by this drought," Sparks says. "It makes anything like this a real hazard. With things this dry, fire can spread quickly."

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File