(LINTON) - Linton FIre Chief Brad Sparks says a brush fire scorched approximately one acre of land belonging to the Linton Conservation Club on Monday.
The fire, which was reported around 1:45 p.m., left the area near one of the ponds on the property with a large charred area. Sparks says there was no other damage.
"It was probably someone on an ATV or motorcycle who flipped a cigarette butt on the ground," Sparks said. "That mixed with the dry conditions could have gotten it started."
Firefighters Ross Gentry and Jayson Smith, along with Sparks, used the department's brush truck to extinguish the blaze and prevented what could have been a larger fire due to the current drought conditions.
"It's been really dry and we've been hit pretty hard by this drought," Sparks says. "It makes anything like this a real hazard. With things this dry, fire can spread quickly."
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org