News Sections
Power Agency Offers Money For Nonprofits
Updated May 5, 2013 1:07 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(WASHINGTON) - Indiana Municipal Power Agency, from which the city of Washington purchases its electricity, is offering nonprofit organizations an opportunity to earn money through a new community outreach and enrichment program.

Andrea McCann of the Washington Times-Herald reports the effort is part of Energizing Indiana, a statewide energy efficiency program, and is designed to pay qualifying nonprofits for signing up residents for home energy assessments. Organizations can earn $25 per assessment completed in their name, up to a $25,000 maximum.

Qualifying organizations include any nonprofit group in which none of its earnings benefit any private shareholder or individual.

"Any group, from Boy Scouts to Girl Scouts to churches, can begin earning rebate money immediately for every completed home energy assessment," said Doug Buresh, senior vice president of planning and operations at IMPA, in a letter to Washington Municipal Utilities.

The home energy assessments highlight ways residents can improve energy efficiency, which lowers energy bills and improves the comfort of the home. In the assessment, an "energy advisor" will analyze energy use, recommend appropriate efficiency measures and install low-cost energy-saving measures, such as CFL light bulbs, low-flow faucet aerators and shower heads, and water heater insulation wrap.

The advisor also will assess heating, cooling and ventilation systems to see if they're operating efficiently, and may inspect air duct sealing, insulation levels and more to evaluate the home's energy consumption and heating and cooling efficiency.

Once the home energy assessment is done, the resident will receive a comprehensive report detailing recommendations. Many times, according to IMPA, only simple and low-cost improvements are necessary to achieve significant energy savings.

To be eligible, residences must be a.) single-family homes, duplexes, triplexes, quadplexes or mobile homes occupied by the owner or b.) non-owner occupied homes (rentals) where occupants have the electric service in their names. The homes must be 10 years old or more and have not had a utility-sponsored assessment in the last three years.

Nonprofit organizations wishing to participate in the rebate program need to complete a W-9 and a memorandum of understanding accepting program guidelines.

"To enroll, they need to go through Dan Worl at IMPA," said WMU office manager Anita Ash.

Worl can be reached at (317) 573-9955 or

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File