(UNDATED) - Here's a look at the week ahead for Bedford and the surrounding area.
* The state's new smoking ban will affect many businesses when it goes into effect July 1. With that in mind, Karen DuBois of Hoosier Uplands will lead a Bedford Smoke-Free Seminar Thursday from 9-10 a.m. in the Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce, 1116 16th St. DuBois will discuss the implementation of the statewide ban and answer questions about the ban's effects on area businesses.
* Mitchell School Board, 6 p.m., June 11, Administration Building.
* The North Lawrence School Board, 7 p.m., June 14, in the Administration Building.
* Bedford Public Library's free summer reading festival will feature a lot more than books. The festival, from 4:30-7 p.m. Thursday, will include games, prizes, snacks and a lot more. The library is at 1323 K St.
* Mitchell Board of Works, 4 p.m., June 12, Mitchell City Hall.
* Thorne's Homes, 3211 Ind. 37, will host a free community open house Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The events will range from a corn hole tournament to clinics on safe car seats. Many area businesses will have displays and other offerings of interest.
* Bedford City Council, 7 p.m. June 12, Bedford City Hall.
* The annual Relay for Life fundraiser for the American Cancer Society will begin with opening ceremonies at 7 p.m. Friday and the annual luminary ceremony at dusk. It will continue overnight into Saturday at Parkview Track.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com