News Sections
Fires Started After Someone Discarded Cigarettes
Updated May 5, 2013 1:07 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(UNDATED) - Volunteer Fire fighters are stressing smokers not throw their lit cigarettes on the ground or out car windows.

On Monday firefighters from Marshall and Oolitic Volunteer Fire Department went to a home in the 100 block of Briar Avenue Monday night after a neighbor noticed the landscaping mulch smoldering and then flames headed toward the porch.

According to Marshall Fire Chief Chad Hayes the fire was started by a discarded cigarette.

"We had the fire out quickly, but it could have been worse if the neighbor had not noticed the smoldering mulch," Hayes says. "There was only minor damage to the porch railing and smoke did enter the home through the open garage door. We ventilated the home. We had almost the same thing over the weekend at Briarwood Apartments when someone discarded a cigarette in the mulch there."

Firefighters from Shawswick VFD went to a field fire in the 600 block of North Jackson Street at 12:03 p.m. Monday. Shawswick VFD Chief Bobby Brown says that fire was minor and was started by a discarded cigarette.

"We were lucky it was a minor fire," Brown says. "People need to realize we are under a burn ban and discarding lit cigarettes out of car windows or dropping them on the ground could cause a potential fire."

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File