(BEDFORD) - The Bedford Fire Department is investigating a fire at Crane's Leather on J Street.
The fire was reported at 2:48 p.m. on Sunday.
"This could have been a terrible fire," said Bedford Fire Chief Jon Wagner. "It looked pretty bad when we first arrived. We were extremely lucky. The men did a great job of getting that fire knocked down and put out or we could still have been there battling the blaze this morning. There is a lot of fire load in the storage area of that building."
Wagner says the fire started on the north side of the building, at the top of the stairs at the door of a room that is used for storage.
"We have smoke damage in the leather shop because the air conditioner was on and it sucked the smoke into the building," Wagner said. "There was a little smoke damage upstairs. But no water damage anywhere. Of course the door was damaged from the flames."
The fire started when someone placed what could be a 2 inch Roman candle firework at the back door and set it off.
"We are still investigating exactly what the device is and who may have placed it there," Wagnor said. "I know the police have questioned several individuals and the case is still under investigation. Our investigator David Wright will be back on the scene this morning."
Anyone with information is asked to call BFD Investigator David Wright or the Bedford Police Department.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org