(MITCHELL) - John Edge will be the new athletic director at Mitchell High School effective July 1.
Edge will replace Matt Seifers, who announced his resignation as head basketball coach and athletic director earlier this year.
Assistant Superintendent Phillip Storm told the board that Edge has been an assistant athletic director at two other schools before he came to Mitchell in May 2011.
He has been working toward a master's degree in school administration and should have a principal's license in a matter of months. Storm said those qualifications not only made Edge a good candidate for AD, but also will allow him to help other administrators in the teacher evaluation process.
Edge, also is the varsity football coach for the bluejackets and that flagged some concerns for School Board president Chris Shaw.
Shaw claims that there has been friction between coaches and he hoped top school leaders would monitor those relationships and he claimed other teachers with longer ties to the community would have been qualified for the athletic director's position.
Shaw was the only school board member that voted against approving Edge taking the position.
In other business the school board:
* Accepted John Tyree's resignation as eighth grade math teacher. Jessica Jones will replace Tyree.
* Jordan key will take the seventh-grade math teachers position.
*Tyler Phillips will take the sixth grade assignment
* The board accepted the retirement of food service worker Wanda Lynch and the resignation of food service worker Christy Gratzer, both effective May 24.
* Accepted the resignation of Amanda May, elementary school assistant principal, effective June 7. She has been named principal of Parkview Intermediate School in Bedford.
* Granted a maternity leave for Julie Freeman from Sept. 21, 2012, to Jan. 3, 2013.
* Amy Dusard as a Title I teacher.
* Kirsten Martin and Amy Redman as sixth-grade volleyball co-coaches.
Jeff Miller as seventh-grade football coach.
* Darren Speer as junior varsity boys basketball coach.
* Krissy Mundy and Tom Sowders as junior varsity girls basketball co-coaches.
* Luke Woolems as varsity girls softball coach.
* Ron Grimes as varsity boys golf coach.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com