(BEDFORD) - Twenty-five teams made up of 253 participants will be walking and dancing will stomp out cancer this weekend.
They will be remembering those who lost their fight to the disease and celebrating those who are still fighting at the annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life.
The event begins at 6 p.m. Friday at Parkview track with cancer survivors and caregivers walking laps on the track. A luminaria ceremony at 10 p.m. will remember those who lost their lives to cancer.
Activities will include: music, face painting, bubbles, musical chairs and lots of dancing.
This year's Relay theme is Dancing Away Cancer. All 25 teams will do a dance at midnight.
So far teams have raised $31,000 for the American Cancer Society. The Lawrence County Relay goal is $42,000.
Walking Warriors, a team of Walmart employees, is the top team fundraiser, raising more than $14,000. They have been one of the top fundraisers from many years and is one of the top 10 Relay for Life teams in the country. Wal-Mart encourages employees to volunteer and each individual that participate gets donations from the corporation. Cookouts in the parking lot and employee pitch-ins were some of their fundraisers.
Top individual fundraiser is Stephanie Fitzgerald who raised about $1,600. Fitzgerald placed purple Relay for Life potties in yards for a donation of $20. Her team, Flushing Our Cancer, has raised $4,444.
To make a donation to Relay for Life, stop by Parkview track Friday or visit http://main.acsevents.org/site/PageServer and enter the Lawrence County zip code.
Relay for Life schedule:
- 5 p.m.: Set-up, registration
- 6 p.m.: Survivor tent opens, DJ and activities (DJ Ken Hawn, Celebrations! inflatables, Guerillashots photo booth, face painting)
- 7 p.m.: Opening ceremonies (Survivor and Caregiver laps, team laps)
- 8:30 p.m.: Fight Back Ceremony with VOICE
- 9 p.m.: Camp site judging
- 10 p.m.: Luminaria ceremony
- 11:30 p.m.: Scavenger Hunt: Fishing for a Cure
- Midnight: team dances
- 1 a.m.: Musical chairs (Maurice's)
- 1:30 a.m.: Bubbles lap
- 2 a.m.: Frozen T-shirt (Walmart)
- 2:30 a.m.: Clown nose lap
- 3 a.m.: Cup cake walk ("Here Comes the Sun, Little Darlin'")
- 3:30 a.m.: Hokey Pokey lap
- 4 a.m.: Water balloon toss (Walking with Woody)
- 5 a.m.: Potty toss (Flush Out Cancer)
- 6 a.m.: Wake-up activities (Thom Ulmet)
- 6:30 a.m.: Concessions open for breakfast
- 7 a.m.: Yoga with Connie Wilson
- 7:30 a.m.: Zumba with Kara Dale
- 8 a.m.: Bedford Police Department K9 Ciro with officer Jeremy Bridges
- 9 a.m.: Closing ceremony, team and sponsor recognition
- 10 a.m.: Tear down and cleanup
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com