(BEDFORD) - Repairs at the Bedford Parks Department building at Thornton Park are almost complete.
Bob Bridge of the Times-Mail reports that the parks facility, under renovation the past several months because of mold issues, features a new configuration.
The conference room, once on the western portion, now is on the east. The offices, once on the east, now are on the west. Parks Director Mike Mitchell says it will still be a few weeks before the offices are back to normal. Currently, the staff are working out of a trailer parked in front of the office.
In other business:
* Revenue at Otis Park Golf Course is up, according to Bedford Parks Director Mike. So far the course has taken in $163,000, that's $40,000 ahead of last year.
* Workers have been getting the pool ready to open on Saturday, May 26th.
All of the plots at the community garden on 24th Street just east of Mitchell Road have been claimed.
* Despite overcast skies, the department's annual car show at Thornton drew 73 entries and hundreds of vintage vehicle enthusiasts.
* Softball season is in full swing at Murray Forest Park. Cotton's Auto prevailed in last weekend's Bedford Shoot-Out, the year's first tournament. The All-Nighter is scheduled for June 1st - 3rd. The men's field is full, but the department is still looking for some women's teams.
The tourney has been designated as part of the Worth Power Series and softball superstars Rusty Bumgardner and Bill Rhew will take swings in the Worth 454 Home Run Derby against local participants. The entry fee is $10 per person and open to the first 50 to register. The winner earns an ASA bat of his choice.
There is also a new policy in place regarding camping. Park officials will be designating spots this year, making the event more organized and easier to control and a lot less messy.
* The first Kool Kids Craft Day is scheduled for June 13 at the Thornton Pavilion at 9 a.m., instructors will assist children in making bird feeders.
For information on all city recreational activities, call 275-5692.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com