News Sections
Odon-Cannelburg Road Reconstruction Begins
Updated May 5, 2013 1:07 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(WASHINGTON) - Daviess County Commissioners on Monday learned the appraisal phase of right-of-way for Phase I of the CR 900E (Odon-Cannelburg Road) reconstruction project is under way.

Melody Brunson of the Washington Times-Herald reports that the project will reconstruct 1.4 miles of the road from just south of CR 450N to just north of CR 550N.

The project is being paid for with an 80 percent grant from the federal government. The county will pick up the remaining 20 percent.

The road currently is 20-foot to 22-foot with no shoulders and is used by horse and buggy, personal vehicles and large trucks. The $4.43 million project calls for two 12-foot travel lanes with two 8-foot paved shoulders on each side for buggies, as well as two 2-foot gravel shoulders. The road will be striped to meet federal standards. Bids are expected to be let early 2013, with the work to be completed during the 2013 construction season, and the section of road would be closed to traffic during construction. Property owners would be able to reach their homes during the construction period.

Phil Cornelius, Daviess County highway supervisor, talked to commissioners about the project on Monday, and additional funding for the 20 percent match was signed off.

In other highway department business, Cornelius said Troy Road is set to be open again on May 23, according to a schedule from Walsh Construction, a contractor doing work on Interstate 69 south of Washington. Local traffic in that area has been disrupted for a few weeks now, causing concern to residents.

Levee lawsuit

Commissioners appointed Tony Wichman, president of the commissioners, as their spokesperson in the mediation on May 30 in Indianapolis for the lawsuit brought by the county against Donald Villwock, Randall Bowman and Shepherd Construction LLC.

The suit alleges that in December 2010 or January 2011, excavation of a 1-mile long ditch near Bennington Levee took place on tracts of land either owned or managed by Villwock and Bowman. This ditch was constructed on the protected side of the levee near the base causing deprivation of lateral support. This resulted in a breach that flooded a large area west of the levee in Washington.

Commissioners have a meeting at 9 a.m. June 4 to hear about the mediation process concerning the levee.

Immunization fees

Commissioners granted new county health nurse, Kathy Sullender, permission to charge an $8 administration fee per injection at immunization clinics, to help cover the costs of the program.

Election costs

Commissioners signed a docket to pay poll workers $22,131 for work at the May 8 Primary.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File