News Sections
Fire Destroys Home In Washington
Updated May 5, 2013 1:07 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(WASHINGTON) - The Jones family lost everything Tuesday afternoon after a fire raged through their home on County Road 450 South in Washington.

When firefighters from Veale and Washington Township Fire Departments responded at 12:54 p.m. the home was engulfed in flames and the roof was collapsing. More than 24 firefighters battled blaze.

Veale Township Fire Chief Mark Barber believes the fire started in a corner of the residence near a clothes dryer and electrical connections. A gas grill, located in the home's garage, exploded after the fire started.

"The garage door blew open, the windows busted, that really opened up the house with air and the fire then really got started," Barber said.

The owners, Tracy and Lisa Jones watched firefighters battle the blaze. They were not home when the fire started. Friends called the Jones to tell them smoke was bellowing out of the house.

Firefighters had their handful battling the blaze, but they faced a potentially dangerous situation with the propane tank located at the rear of the house.
Barber says firefighters doused the tank with water trying to keep it cool. They were able to get close enough and shut off the valve. Barber says there was about 400 gallons of propane

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File