News Sections
Audio
Trial Postponed For Seymour Man Accused Of Rape
Updated May 5, 2013 1:06 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BROWNSTOWN) - The trial of a 21-year-old Jackson County man accused of rape as well as seven other Class B felonies is slated to begin in Jackson Circuit Court has been postponed.

A story in The Tribune by Aubrey Wood and radio coverage prompted the postponement of the trial.

The office of Jackson Circuit Judge Bill Vance said the trial was continued because of the article that reported Corey A. Quick, 21, Seymour, was to stand trial in connection with allegations that he raped a 13-year-old girl during the summer of 2010.

Vance had no comment when contacted Tuesday about the continuance.

Quick's attorney, Stephen Pierson of Seymour, requested the continuance, contending an impartial jury could not be selected because of the stories.

"It is going to be harder to pick a jury. It might take two days instead of one. In addition to that, we were concerned about the possibility of having an impartial jury because of the last paragraph of that story citing his prior record."

The last paragraph cited Quick's previous convictions and that he is listed on the state's sexual offender registry.

Pierson said he was unsure whether he will seek a change of venue but added that's a strong possibility.

"We want to ensure that when defendants come into Jackson Circuit Court that they have the fairest trial possible, and Judge Vance has a wonderful record of ensuring that," Pierson said.

Corey Quick, of the 600 block of North Ewing Street in Seymour, was arrested in October 2010 as the result of an investigation by Seymour Police Department into a report of an alleged incident involving a 13-year-old female.

At the time of Quick's arrest, Seymour Detective Troy Munson said the arrest was the result of an investigation that began with a report received by the state Department of Child Services in September of that year.

Munson said the alleged incident occurred at the end of the summer of 2010, possibly near the end of July or the beginning of August.

"It was not consensual," Munson said at the time.

Munson said the suspect had been "hanging out with the victim at a mutual friend's residence" on North Pine Street.

"He forced her into a bathroom where he raped her," Munson said.

Friends attempted to gain entry into the room but were unable to, Munson added.
Deputy Prosecutor Jeff Chalfant will present the state's case against Quick, who will be represented by Seymour attorney Stephen Pierson.

Besides the rape charge, Quick also faces charges of attempted rape, criminal deviate conduct, attempted criminal deviate conduct, two counts child molesting and two counts of attempted child molesting, all Class B felonies. He also faces two counts of criminal confinement.

Quick is listed on the Indiana Sex Offender registry and was on probation after being convicted in 2009, at the age of 18, of sexual misconduct with a minor. He was found guilty in December 2009 and sentenced to four years in jail, but that sentence was suspended and he was placed on supervised probation.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2014 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  About  |  Feedback