WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Damages Mitchell Home

Last updated on Thursday, April 12, 2012

(MITCHELL) - An early Wednesday morning fire damaged but didn’t destroy a Mitchell home thanks to the quick response of firefighters.

Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department Chief Tyler Duncan says the family is lucky to be alive. The blaze was reported at 2:41 a.m. in the 300 block of South Meridian Road.

The home is owned by Max Eisele, but being rented to Kevin and Tonetta Nicholson. Kevin woke up choking from the smoke and was able to get his wife and their two children out of the home. Duncan says the fire started on the back porch, which was converted into living space. The furnace was in that room, and that's where firefighters are focusing their investigation.

Firefighters were on the scene within five minutes of receiving the call and had the fire contained shortly after arriving.

Duncan says the house was damaged but not destroyed. There was a lot of smoke damage in the interior of the home, but most of the heat was contained to the back room and the kitchen area. The family was taken to a local motel for the night.

There was only one smoke detector in the home, but it didn't wake the family. Duncan advises everyone to have several smoke detectors in every room and to check them regularly.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page