News Sections
Fire Damages Mitchell Home
Updated May 5, 2013 1:06 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(MITCHELL) - An early Wednesday morning fire damaged but didn't destroy a Mitchell home thanks to the quick response of firefighters.

Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department Chief Tyler Duncan says the family is lucky to be alive. The blaze was reported at 2:41 a.m. in the 300 block of South Meridian Road.

The home is owned by Max Eisele, but being rented to Kevin and Tonetta Nicholson. Kevin woke up choking from the smoke and was able to get his wife and their two children out of the home. Duncan says the fire started on the back porch, which was converted into living space. The furnace was in that room, and that's where firefighters are focusing their investigation.

Firefighters were on the scene within five minutes of receiving the call and had the fire contained shortly after arriving.

Duncan says the house was damaged but not destroyed. There was a lot of smoke damage in the interior of the home, but most of the heat was contained to the back room and the kitchen area. The family was taken to a local motel for the night.

There was only one smoke detector in the home, but it didn't wake the family. Duncan advises everyone to have several smoke detectors in every room and to check them regularly.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File