News Sections
Family Speaks On Crash Victim's Violent Past
Updated May 5, 2013 1:06 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BLOOMINGTON) The family of the girl who was dismembered by a Bedford man speaks out about his death.

23-year-old Nathan Gaudet, of Bedford, was among those who died in the crash late Monday night.

He had moved to Bedford, from Moline, Ill., where in 2005, he pleaded guilty to playing a part in the gruesome murder of a 16-year-old girl.

Gaudet, who was 16 at the time, admitted to using his grandfather's hand saw to cut off Adrianne Reynolds' head and arms to keep authorities from identifying her body through dental records and fingerprints.

It was part of a cover-up for his two friends who beat Reynolds to death outside a Taco Bell in Moline. They were both convicted of murder.

"I feel sad for his family, but sometimes what you give is what you get," said Adrianne's father, Tony Reynolds, after the news of Gaudet's death.

Reynolds said now the murder has come full circle.

"Somebody who admitted to doing something that horrific - I am not going to lie. I probably said, 'I hope you burn in hell,'" Reynolds said. "Everybody said he will, but maybe the devil got tired of waiting for him."

Gaudet was released from juvenile detention in 2008 and moved to Bedford.

The other two who died in the crash were 24-year-old Justin Thomas and 23-year-old Sean McClanahan, both of Georgetown, near New Albany.

The Crime

Adrianne Reynolds was originally from Kilgore, Texas. She moved to East Moline, Illinois when she was 16 to live with her adoptive parents, Tony and Joann Reynolds. She began attending Black Hawk College Outreach Center in November 2004 to earn her GED so she could realize her dream of joining the Marines. While there, she met fellow students Sarah Kolb and Cory Gregory.

Sarah Kolb was reportedly a popular goth girl at the Outreach Center; she lived with her mother and stepfather in the nearby town of Milan, Illinois. When Adrianne started in the school, she befriended Sarah's friend Cory Gregory and boyfriend Sean McKitrick. Sarah threatened to kill Adrianne on numerous occasions, but she was not taken seriously.

Cory Gregory originally attended Moline High School but later transferred to the Outreach Center, where he met Sarah. He lived with his mother at the time of the incident. In January 2005, Adrianne reportedly asked Cory out, which angered Sarah.

On the afternoon of January 21, 2005, Sarah invited Adrianne to join her, Cory, and Sean for lunch at Taco Bell; on the way there, Sarah and Adrianne reportedly began fighting, and Sean told Sarah to stop and she told him if he didn't like it, he could get out of her car. In the parking lot, Cory held down Adrianne while Sarah strangled her with a belt and beat her with a wooden handle.

After the murder, Sarah and Cory took Adrianne's body to Sarah's grandparents' farm in Aledo, where they tried to burn it with gasoline. When it failed to burn after several hours, they recruited a 16 year-old boy from Moline named Nathan Gaudet to help dismember the body. Nathan used his grandfather's handsaw to remove Adrianne's head and arms, which were later disposed of in a garbage bag at the Black Hawk State Park. Before disposing of Adrianne's remains, the three teenagers ate lunch at McDonald's.

Adrianne's parents reported her missing after she failed to show up to work at Checkers. Authorities discovered Adrianne's body a few days later on January 26, 2005.

Arrests and Trials

Sarah Kolb and Cory Gregory were both charged with two counts of first-degree murder and concealment on February 1, 2005; they both pled not guilty.

Sarah was the first to go to trial, which began on October 31, 2005 at the Rock Island County Courthouse. After two weeks of trial and 15 hours of deliberation, the trial jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict on any of the three charges. One juror opted for acquittal, while eleven were in favor of conviction.

At her retrial on February 6, 2006 in Dixon,IL, she was convicted on all counts. At sentencing a few months later, she received a total of 53 years in prison for murder and concealment. 48 for murder and 5 for concealment. She is serving her sentence at the Dwight Correctional Center.

In the meantime, Cory Gregory pled guilty to all charges against him. On July 10, 2006, he was sentenced to 45 years in prison. 40 for murder and 5 for concealment. He is serving his sentence at the Menard Correctional Center.

Nathan Gaudet had also been charged with concealment for helping to dismember Adrianne. He pled guilty and was given a juvenile sentence of five years. He was released from juvenile detention on November 11, 2008 after serving almost four years.

On April 16, 2012, Nathan Gaudet died in an automobile accident in Indiana.

This case has been televised on Dateline NBC in October 2006, Deadly Women in December 2010, E! Investigates in June 2011, and Snapped in September 2011.

Nathan Gaudet.jpg

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File