News Sections
Those Rebuilding After Tornado Need Permits
Updated May 5, 2013 1:06 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(UNDATED) - People who lost homes as a result of the March 2 tornado need to obtain permits from both the Washington County Health Department and the Washington County Building Department before they build a new home or put up a temporary structure.

Travis Elliott, the county's building inspector, met with the Washington County Commissioners on Tuesday and said work has already started on one home but the owner doesn't have the proper permit.

Elliott said people first need to go to the health department to obtain a permit for a septic system. Then they need to contact him for a building permit.

Marcia Walker reports the commissioners have agreed to waive building permit fees. Permits needed to allow for the inspection process.

Elliott said so far, only a handful of people have contacted his office. He said most people are still trying to clean up or are still working with insurance companies.

Elliott can be reached at 883-0139. Mike Haddon, with the Washington County Health Department, can be reached at 883-5603.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File