WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Seymour Woman Suffers Burns

Last updated on Thursday, March 29, 2012

(SEYMOUR) - A 31-year-old Seymour woman was injured Sunday evening when her clothing caught fire as she attempted to start a fire in a pit outside her home.

According to a report from Seymour Fire Department, Andrea Garcia of the 700 block of South Poplar Street sustained burns to her chest and neck and her hair was singed by the incident.

Police and firefighters responded to the incident, and firefighters helped load Garcia into a Jackson County Emergency Medical Service ambulance for transportation to Schneck Medical Center in Seymour.

The fire was reported at 10:54 p.m. Sunday.

Seymour Fire Chief Brad Lucas said Tuesday afternoon that as the weather becomes prime for using fire pits and cooking outdoors, people should take care to prevent injuries to themselves and others nearby.

"They want to make sure the cover's still good, make sure they haven't burned through or rusted out and be careful with how they light them," Lucas said.

Igniting fires can pose the strong chance for injuries, he said.

"I'm afraid people often don't light them properly," Lucas added. "If they use the fluid, follow the labels. And once it's lit, don't squirt anymore on. A lot of people get burned that way."

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page