News Sections
Seymour Woman Suffers Burns
Updated May 5, 2013 1:06 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(SEYMOUR) - A 31-year-old Seymour woman was injured Sunday evening when her clothing caught fire as she attempted to start a fire in a pit outside her home.

According to a report from Seymour Fire Department, Andrea Garcia of the 700 block of South Poplar Street sustained burns to her chest and neck and her hair was singed by the incident.

Police and firefighters responded to the incident, and firefighters helped load Garcia into a Jackson County Emergency Medical Service ambulance for transportation to Schneck Medical Center in Seymour.

The fire was reported at 10:54 p.m. Sunday.

Seymour Fire Chief Brad Lucas said Tuesday afternoon that as the weather becomes prime for using fire pits and cooking outdoors, people should take care to prevent injuries to themselves and others nearby.

"They want to make sure the cover's still good, make sure they haven't burned through or rusted out and be careful with how they light them," Lucas said.

Igniting fires can pose the strong chance for injuries, he said.

"I'm afraid people often don't light them properly," Lucas added. "If they use the fluid, follow the labels. And once it's lit, don't squirt anymore on. A lot of people get burned that way."

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File