WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Loogootee Man Dies In House Fire

Last updated on Sunday, March 18, 2012

(LOOGOOTEE) - A Loogootee man died after being pulled from his burning home, Saturday afternoon.

Joseph "Joe" Craney, 94, was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The fire was reported at 3:17 p.m. by the Loogootee Nursing Center, which is just east of Craney's home. The fire also damaged that building.

Jason Combs and Nicole Farris, both of Loogootee, were passing the house as they traveled on U.S. 50, stopped and went into the burning home. They were able to pull Craney from the blaze and fire fighters who were just arriving on the scene were able to administer CPR. Joe Craney was transported to Daviess Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The Indiana Fire Marshal's Office has been called to investigate the fire, which Deputy Crew believes started in the kitchen, which is where Combs and Farris found the victim.

Mike Craney, who lives next door to his father, says his father lives alone, but suffered from a heart condition.

The brick home has extensive fire, smoke and water damage.

The Montgomery Volunteer Fire and Cannelburg Volunteer Fire Departments were assisted by Southwest Medical and the Loogootee Fire Department.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page