News Sections
Loogootee Man Dies In House Fire
Updated May 5, 2013 1:06 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(LOOGOOTEE) - A Loogootee man died after being pulled from his burning home, Saturday afternoon.

Joseph "Joe" Craney, 94, was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The fire was reported at 3:17 p.m. by the Loogootee Nursing Center, which is just east of Craney's home. The fire also damaged that building.

Jason Combs and Nicole Farris, both of Loogootee, were passing the house as they traveled on U.S. 50, stopped and went into the burning home. They were able to pull Craney from the blaze and fire fighters who were just arriving on the scene were able to administer CPR. Joe Craney was transported to Daviess Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The Indiana Fire Marshal's Office has been called to investigate the fire, which Deputy Crew believes started in the kitchen, which is where Combs and Farris found the victim.

Mike Craney, who lives next door to his father, says his father lives alone, but suffered from a heart condition.

The brick home has extensive fire, smoke and water damage.

The Montgomery Volunteer Fire and Cannelburg Volunteer Fire Departments were assisted by Southwest Medical and the Loogootee Fire Department.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File