(BROWNSTOWN) - Some Jackson County residents planning to vote in the May 8 primary have to head to different polling sites.
Aubrey Woods reports the goal was to get the polling sites out of the schools, according to County Clerk Amanda Lowery.
Lowery said that all of the remaining precincts that were voting at schools have been moved.
The changes include moving the Hamilton Township polling site from Cortland Elementary School to Hamilton Township Volunteer Fire Department station.
Other precincts moved from schools include Jackson 1 East from Seymour Middle School to Calvary Baptist Church at 1202 N. Ewing St. in Seymour; Jackson 3 North from St. Ambrose School to the American Legion Annex at 414 W. Second St. in Seymour;
Jackson 3 South from Seymour Middle School Sixth Grade Center to Seymour Christian Church at 915 Kasting Road; and Vernon-Crothersville from Crothersville Junior-Senior High School to First Baptist Church at 401 E. Howard St. in Crothers-ville.
The Jackson 5 East polling site also has been moved from Redeemer Lutheran Church to the American Legion annex in Seymour.
Lowery told commissioners voters affected by the moves as well as those affected by re-precincting created by the 2010 U.S. Census will be notified of the changes.
Three precincts, one in Brownstown and two in Seymour, were eliminated by the boundary changes and consolidations after the census information became available in 2011.
Lowery said voters with questions may contact the clerk's office at 358-6116.
The deadline for anyone wishing to vote in the primary is April 9.
For information about how to register to vote locally or to check your voter registration status, call the Jackson County Voter Registration Office at 358-6120. To register online, Hoosiers may visit the Indiana Secretary of State's website at www.IndianaVoters.com.
• Brownstown 1, Brownstown Nazarene Church, 616 W. Commerce St., Brownstown
• Brownstown 2, Jackson County Courthouse, 111 S. Main St., Brownstown
• Brownstown 4, Jackson County Courthouse, 111 S. Main St., Brownstown
• Brownstown Township East, Courthouse annex, 220 E. Walnut St.
• Brownstown Township West, Ratcliff Grove Christian Church, 1989 N. Ind. 135, Freetown
• Carr Township, Medora Christian Church, 76 George St., Medora
• Driftwood Township, Vallonia School gymnasium, 2549 W. Commerce St., Vallonia
• Grassy Fork Township, Grassy Fork Volunteer Fire Department fire station, 5358 S. 450E, Tampico
• Hamilton Township, Hamilton Township Volunteer Fire Department station
• Jackson 1 East, Calvary Baptist Church, 1202 N. Ewing St., Seymour
• Jackson 2 East, First Church of the Nazarene, 311 Myers St., Seymour
• Jackson 2 West, First Church of the Nazarene, 311 Myers St., Seymour
• Jackson 3 North, American Legion Annex, 414 W. Second St., Seymour
• Jackson 3 South, Seymour Christian Church, 915 Kasting Road, Seymour
• Jackson 4 North, First Baptist Church, 505 Community Drive, Seymour
• Jackson 4 South, Zion Lutheran Church, 1501 Gaiser Drive, Seymour
• Jackson 5 East, American Legion Annex, 414 W. Second St., Seymour
• Jackson 5 North, First Baptist Church, 505 Community Drive, Seymour
• Jackson 6, First Church of the Nazarene, 311 Myers St., Seymour
• Jackson 7, Jackson Superior Court I, 1420 Corporate Way, Seymour
• Owen Township, Owen-Salt Creek Township Volunteer Fire Department fire station, 5742 N. Cleveland St., Kurtz
• Pershing Township, Freetown Community Center, North Union Street, Freetown
• Redding East, Reddington Christian Church, 10516 N. U.S. 31, Seymour
• Redding-Seymour City, Calvary Baptist Church, 1202 N. Ewing St., Seymour
• Redding West, Peters Switch Nazarene Church, 9528 N. 760S, seymour
• Salt Creek Township, Houston School, Houston
• Vernon-Crothersville, First Baptist Church, 401 E. Howard St., Crothersville
• Vernon North, Professional Heating and Cooling, 2289 S. U.S. 31, Crothersville
• Vernon South, Crothersville-Vernon Township Fire Department, 200 Moore St., Crothersville
• Washington Township, Dudleytown Conservation Club, 5936 E. Ind. 250, Brownstown
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org