(BEDFORD) - Bedford Fire Department firefighters were able to extinguish a blaze Friday afternoon before it spread to other buildings.
When firefighters arrived at the building, heavy smoke was coming from the roof of the building. The building is on I Street and is owned by Deckard Construction and is used for storage.
According to Battalion Chief Kenny Teague, the fire appears to have started in the front of the building on the lower level and spread up into the attic area and the roof.
Teague says there was no electricity to the building but a generator that was being used on the lower level was too close to a stack of ceiling tiles and might have started the fire.
Firefighters cut a hole into the building on the second floor to battle the blaze and keep it from spreading to buildings on the southside.
The building was destroyed during the blaze. No one was injured during the incident.
William Deckard says he used the building to store tools and equipment. Employees of Deckard Construction had just left the building a few minutes before the fire started.
According to Teague, the construction of the older building made fighting the blaze difficult.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org