Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, February 29, 2012
(BEDFORD) - The Lawrence County Council approved an additional appropriation of $40,000 to the Virgil I. Grissom Municipal Airport so they can pay for the repaving of runway 6-24 and for an engineering study to repair cracks on runway 1331.
The money will be taken from the county's cumulative capital fund.
The runway must be repaired to meet FFA standards.
However Council man Keith Dillman was upset with the aviation committee because they didn't bring this problem to the council when they first realized they wouldn't have enough funds to pay the invoices.
"Someone should have made us aware of this problem long before now," Dillman added. "Instead of waiting to the last minute when the bills are due. I understand what you are saying but this could possibly have been avoided."
Dillman voted against the additional appropriation.
Bill Daggy, a member of the aviation board, told the commissioners that at the time the improvements began the budget for the airport had the money, but by the time the project was completed the county had cut the airports budget. He also added erosion problems and FFA standard that had to be meet, added additional costs to the project.
In other business:
* The council approved the grant budget for LCC Drug Free Community. Bedford Police Dare Officer Steve Gilbert said the money will be distributed to county agencies to combat drugs and alcohol problems in Lawrence County.
"The meth problem has spiked in our community. It has become easy to obtain and make. We need to get the message to the kids in the community of the dangers of the drug."
* The council approved the request to transfer funds from the pretrial diversion funds to the victim assistants grant fund to pay for the salary of the employee who administers the grant.
* The council approved the additional appropriation of $10,000 to the tourism budget. A clerical error was made and the appropriation would correct that error.
* The council approved the additional appropriation for the repairs to the Williams covered bridge.
* The council passed a resolution for a 10-year tax abatement for D&M Tools.
* The council denied Sam Shaw to speak at the meeting because Shaw would not tell the council why he wanted to address them. Shaw said he didn't have to tell the council what he wanted to speak about. However Council President Jim Edwards told Shaw that according to Indiana State Code 5-14-1.5 he did. Edwards again asked Shaw why he wanted to address the council and Shaw refused to tell him, other than saying he had a prepared statement. The council denied Shaw's request to speak.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at email@example.com
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page