(BEDFORD) - With only hours left until the candidates' filing deadline, at least five contested races are in place for the May primary election.
Candidates have until noon today (Friday) to file for office at the Lawrence County Clerk's Office.
The May primary serves as the nominating election, when political parties pick candidates for the November election. And in Lawrence County, there will be contested races for at least five spots on the Republican Party's ballot.
A look at the contested races thus far:
Commissioner, District 2: Ron Pridemore is challenging incumbent William Spreen.
Commissioner, District 3: Ryan "Sully" Sullivan and Vanice Price are challenging incumbent David Flinn.
Coroner: Incumbent John Sherrill has not filed for office. Seeking to replace him are Robert Herr, Stephen G. Kidd, Cody Medlock and Scott Smith.
County council: Incumbents Mike Branham, Jim Edwards and Gene McCracken have all filed for office. But they are being challenged by Bret Carmichael, Ed "Eppo" Epping, J. Scott Smith, Dan Terrell and Craig T. Turpen.
Treasurer: Incumbent Paula Stewart will face a challenge from Linda Webber.
In Orange County, there are only two contested races so far both on the Republican side.
List of those who have filed for office
Lawrence County ballot
The following is the list of filings for county offices at the Lawrence County Courthouse. (An * indicates an incumbent.)
- Jody Edwards, Bedford, R
- * Myron Rainey, Bedford, R
COMMISSIONER, DISTRICT 2
- Ron Pridemore, Mitchell, R
- * William E. Spreen, Williams, R
COMMISSIONER, DISTRICT 3
- * David Flinn, Bedford, R
- Ryan "Sully" Sullivan, Bedford, R
- Vanice Price, Bedford, R
- Robert Herr, Bedford, R
- Stephen G. Kidd, Mitchell, R
- Cody Medlock, Bedford, R
- Scott Smith, Mitchell, R
- * Mike Branham, Bedford, R
- Bret Carmichael, Springville, R
- * Jim Edwards, Bedford, R
- Ed "Eppo" Epping, Mitchell, R
- * Gene McCracken, Bedford, R
- J. Scott Smith, Williams, R
- Dan Terrell, Mitchell, R
- Craig T. Turpen, Bedford, R
- * Jessica Allen, Bedford, R
SUPERIOR I JUDGE
- Lewis Maudlin Bedford, R
- * Michael A. Robbins, Bedford, D
- * Michael D. Arena, Bedford, R
- * Paula Stewart, Mitchell, R
- Linda Webber, Bedford, R
- * Todd Young, Bloomington, R
- Jonathan George, Heltonville, D
- John Tilford, Bloomington, D
- Robert Winningtham, Charlestown, D
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org