News Sections
Blaze Consumes Martinsville Home
Updated May 5, 2013 1:06 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(MARTINSVILLE) - Fire destroyed a two-story home Sunday in the 700 block of Mulberry Street in Martinsville.

Dispatchers say they got a call from the home saying the residents smelled smoke and that the smoke detectors were sounding. When firefighters arrived smoke was bellowing out of the rear of the home, but everyone had gotten out of the house safely.

Firefighters say the fire began in the basement and burned its way up a wall and a set of stairs before consuming the second floor.

The home was built in the 1920's and part of the home's structure collapsed in the middle of the first floor.

Firefighters from Martinsville and three surrounding departments battled the flames for 2.5 hours. The home is considered a total loss.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2015 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  About  |  Feedback