WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Destroys Garage On U.S. 50 East

Last updated on Thursday, January 12, 2012

(SEYMOUR) - A fire, sparked by embers from a woodstove, destroyed a garage on U.S. east of Seymour Tuesday afternoon.

Michael Bevers told police he lives with his sister at her house in the front of the property at 12029 E. U.S. 50. The garage was about 20 feet south of the house.

Bevers said he had worked until 11 a.m. Tuesday, came home, disposed of the ashes and lay down for a while.

Firefighters from Jackson-Washington Volunteer Fire Department and Redding Township battled the blaze. Firefighters were notified at 1:20 p.m. after a passing motorist reported the fire. Indiana State Police assisted with traffic control.

Police said there were a couple of lawnmowers and a log splitter in the garage. There also were a couple of propane tanks nearby. County Officer Bobby Cummings said there were a couple of explosions when he and Holt, who were riding together, arrived.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page