News Sections
Fire Leaves Bedford Family Without A Home
Updated May 5, 2013 1:05 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - A home was heavily damaged by a fire on 12th Street.

The Bedford Department went to the home at 8:17 p.m. The home is owned by William Lundy and was being rented by Britta and Christoper Lundy.

According to Bedford Fire Department Battalion Chief Steven Haverly, the fire started in the kitchen.

"Britta was in the kitchen and had turned on the oven and then left the room to go to the bathroom," Haverly said. "When she returned the kitchen was on fire."

Haverly said the couple were able to escape and called 911.

When firefighters arrived there was heavy smoke and flames shooting out the back of the house.

"There was heavy damage to the home," Haverly said. "It is not a very big home and the fire spread quickly. There is a lot of heat and smoke damage."

Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours.

"Everything went pretty smoothly," he added. "There was some hot spots we had to target."

When firefighters went to turn off the hydrant they discovered the shaft to the shut off had broken.

"We had to call out the city and have that fixed," Haverly said.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File