(ORLEANS) - Orleans Town Clerk Robert Henderson announced during Thursday night's Orleans Town Council Meeting that all the funding mechanisms are now in place for the town to be able to proceed with its $7.4 million Sewer Project to address the aging 80 year old plus system.
Some 90% of the town's sewer system will have to be worked on. The project is expected to get underway sometime in early to mid 2012.
In other business:
* Council members are supporting Orleans Police Dept and Project Blue Light during the month of December. Residents are being asked to use blue lights or blue candles in their holiday decorating in memory of law enforcement officers who have died in the line in duty. To date 141 Police Officers have been killed in 2011 including two from Indiana. Blue candles will be lit at the Orleans Police Station throughout the holiday season.
* The Town will begin to flush water hydrants starting the week of November 28. Water customers should take notice of the flushing may cause a temporary discoloration of drinking water and laundry items.
* Residential Leaf Pick Up is winding down. Anyone still having leaves for pick should rake them curbside or next to the street for easy pick up. Bagged leaves are still being picked up as well.
*Town Crews are making preparations for the upcoming snow & ice by getting the town's plows, brine tanks checked, salt has been ordered as well. Council also briefly reviewed the town's current Snow Plan and designated snow routes.
* The Welcome Center & Restrooms downtown will begin observing Winter Hours beginning Thanksgiving weekend. The restrooms will be open Saturday and Sundays only through early spring.
* Council members agreed to pledge $3,000 for the next three years towards the support of a county-wide effort for the return of Ivy Tech and the learning center returning to Orange County.
* The Upcoming Holiday Schedule was reviewed through the end of the year. December 6th was set for the annual Town Employee Reviews. The December Council Meeting has been changed from Dec 15 to Dec 13 due to scheduling conflicts.
* There will be a brief Public Swearing-In Ceremony for town officials on December 30 at Orleans Town Hall beginning at 11:30 a.m.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org