News Sections
Officer Dodd Testifies At Tipton Trial
Updated May 5, 2013 1:05 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Bedford Police Officer Justin Dodd told jurors that he thought he was going to die on August 16, 2009.

That's the day Kenneth Tipton was charged with attempting to murder Dodd, criminal recklessness and dealing marijuana. Tipton is being represented by attorney Scott Callahan.

Dodd went to Tipton's house with Sgt. Greg Hagan to investigate a domestic violence call. That is when Tipton allegedly opened fire on officers with a long-gun.

Dodd testified that instincts kicked in when he yelled "gun" and thw two men ran for the door.

Dodd says Tipton then fired one shot at officers as they fled the home at 2418 J St.

Tipton allegedly fired several more shots at officers damaging Dodd's police cruiser, neighbor's homes and vehicles.

Dodd testified that every time he tried to find better cover and raised his head Tipton shot at him. "It felt like hours went by. I was afraid. It felt like it was 150 degrees outside, my adrenaline was pumping, I was sweating like a mad man. I was trapped. My mind was focused on staying alive."

Deputy Prosecutors Jody Donaldson and Tim Sledd took jurors to the scene of the crime by bus. No testimony was done at the scene, jurors walked around the outside and inside of the home where Tipton is accused of firing the shots from.

In other testimony, Lawrence County Drug Task Officer Aaron Schultz testified finding numerous marijuana plants in all stages of growth in the garage at the home. BPD Detective Maj. Rob Herr testified about gathering evidence and BPD Maj. Kevin Jones testified about the search and gathering of evidence at the scene.

Defense Attorney Scott Callahan showed jurors inconsistencies in Bedford police testimony. Some of those inconsistencies were on what items were sent to the Indiana State Police lab for testing and photos taken at the crime scene.

There were also concerns that the lead crime scene technician and former BPD Detective Daniel Atchison was not called by the state to testify about the evidence gathered.

Atchison, who resigned his job at the BPD about a year ago, isn't expected to testify for the state.

Maj. Kevin Jones, who was the led detective in the investigation, said a group of four detectives decided what evidence would be sent to the Indiana State Lab to be tested. But during Detective Maj. Rob Herr's testimony, Herr said there was no group discussion on what was sent to the lab.

Herr testified the door and blind, both damaged by gun fire, should have been taken from the scene, but clarified that it would only be taken with the agreement of the supervising detective. The supervisor in this case was Jones.

Testimony will continue today.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File