WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Leaves Resident Needing Household Goods

Last updated on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

(MITCHELL) - A grease fire destroyed an apartment at Persimmon Park Apartments Saturday afternoon, leaving a family of seven needing household goods.

The Mitchell Fire Department was able to extinguish the blaze in four minutes. The apartment was being rented by Tresa Hamilton, who was at the store when the fire started. Her teenage son was home at the time of the incident and was not injured in the blaze.

The fire started when grease in a pan was left unattended on the stove. The fire destroyed the apartment and the one below suffered water damage, according to Mitchell Fire Chief Tyler Duncan.

Hamilton did lose just about everything in the fire and family members are taking up donations of household goods to help Hamilton get back on her feet. Donations can be dropped off at 911 W. Brook St., in Mitchell. The house where items can be donated is located directly west of the Masonic Lodge.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page