(DUBOIS) - Craig Merkel, of North 575 East, in Dubois County escaped serious injury after his home burned this weekend.
Dubois firefighters say the home was a total loss. Merkel was asleep when the fire broke out. He was awakened by a smoke detector.
When he awoke, he found the living room full of smoke. He was able to get out of the house, go to a neighbor's home and call 911. The house was soon completely engulfed in flames.
Dubois firefighters say the fire started in the area of a wood burning stove in the home and quickly spread. The house and all of Merkel's belongings were lost in the fire.
Merkel was transported to Memorial Hospital in Jasper with what were described as non-life threatening injuries.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org