(LINTON) - Roosevelt Mission in Linton may close after reports of a significant danger of possible electrical fires or a gas explosion.
In May, the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority said Roosevelt Mission is unsafe and urged residents to find other housing. Inspectors claimed the wiring was not up to code and there were gas leaks.
Then Energy Conservation Solutions, Inc. called the former hotel's condition "a prescription for certain tragedy."
Now, the Indiana State Fire Marshal will inspect the property and determine whether it is up to code.
In July, Linton Mayor Patti Jones received a 40-page report from ECS suggesting the building was a health hazard with multiple gas leaks. Jones had the gas turned off at the mission.
After an emergency inspection by city employees, the gas service was restored.
Mission's director, Jerry French, said the problems are overstated and the report is misleading.
After passing several inspections, French was informed in February an inspector smelled a gas leak. Inspectors checked the property and found only one leak, a valve that needed greased.
French has criticized ECS inspectors as misrepresenting the 110-year-old mission's condition.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org