WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Mercury Spill At Salem Post Office

Last updated on Friday, October 14, 2011

(SALEM) - Tuesday afternoon Bo Butler, a volunteer fire fighter, stepped in mercury on his way to the Salem post office.

After Salem Fire Department investigated the situation, the postal office called in a private contractor from Cincinnati to clean up the site.

The chemical spill was large according to Salem fire Department Chief Roger Pennington.

Pennington says they don't know where the chemical came from. There was no broken glass or debris to indicated it was from a broken thermometer.

This is the first time the department has had to deal with a mercury spill, Pennington says.

Pennington says they need help from the public to figure out where the mercury may have come from because this is not a common substance people have around and he is concerned. If anyone may have witnessed something unusual or has any information regarding the spill call 883-4970.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page