News Sections
Mercury Spill At Salem Post Office
Updated May 5, 2013 1:04 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(SALEM) - Tuesday afternoon Bo Butler, a volunteer fire fighter, stepped in mercury on his way to the Salem post office.

After Salem Fire Department investigated the situation, the postal office called in a private contractor from Cincinnati to clean up the site.

The chemical spill was large according to Salem fire Department Chief Roger Pennington.

Pennington says they don't know where the chemical came from. There was no broken glass or debris to indicated it was from a broken thermometer.

This is the first time the department has had to deal with a mercury spill, Pennington says.

Pennington says they need help from the public to figure out where the mercury may have come from because this is not a common substance people have around and he is concerned. If anyone may have witnessed something unusual or has any information regarding the spill call 883-4970.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File