(BLOOMINGTON) - Investigators say a resident had removed the smoke detector from the Bloomington apartment where 19-year-old IU student Renee Orhn died.
The Bloomington Fire Department report says the tenant told investigators he had taken down the smoke detector the night before the Oct. 1 fire because it had been going off and was annoying him.
Investigators determined the fire was accidental and started near a ceiling light in the apartment below, where Ohrn was staying that night and died from smoke inhalation.
Investigators reported finding smoke detectors in all other apartments in the building.
The fire destroyed 12 apartment units and displaced more than 20 students.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org