WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Family Not Home When Fire Breaks Out In Attic

Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011

(BLOOMINGTON) - Ellen and Bruce Davidson and their 10 children were not home Wednesday morning when a fire broke out in their house on Stratford Drive in Bloomington.

Al and Judy Burckle, of Greene County, were on their way to the YMCA around 10 a.m. and where on the roundabout at Winslow Road and High Street when they saw flames coming through the roof of the 2-story house.

They called 911 and drove to the house at 3013 S. Stratford Drive. Judy jumped from the car, ran to the front door and began yelling to see if anyone was home. The door was unlocked and Judy opened it yelling to make sure the family was not trapped inside. That is when she found the Davidson's big dog, a Australian shepherd - Rottweiler mix, and grabbed it. After she let the dog down, it ran around the yard barking and then went back inside the house. But the dog came outside when his owners arrived.

The Davidson's returned home from work to discover the fire extinguished. There was major damage to the attic area, but the rest of the stone and wood house was saved.

Bloomington Fire Department firefighters cut a hole in the roof to extinguish the fire. The blaze was contained to the attic area and started in a ceiling heating lamp in an upstairs bathroom.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page