News Sections
Explosion Caused By Gas Leak And Cigarette
Updated May 5, 2013 1:05 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(NEW PEKIN) - Authorities say 48-year-old Lois Mauck and 35-year-old Ralph Thomas are in critical condition after being badly burned by a mobile home explosion on Hurst Road in Pekin.

Benny Thomas, Ralph's father, who's in his 60's, also suffered burns and is listed in serious condition.

They were taken by helicopter to U of L Hospital in Louisville Sunday. Three air-ambulances landed about a mile from the scene.

Pierce-Polk Township Fire Chief Robert Mull says the explosion threw glass, rugs, curtains and other debris about 25 feet from the mobile home.

The mobile home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. Firefighters used about 1,500 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze. All that remains is a burnt out shell.

Mull says the explosion happened because of a gas leak. Thomas was working on the furnace when Mauck light a cigarette and that is when the blast happened.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File