WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Crothersville Family Loses Home To Fire

Last updated on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

(CROTHERSVILLE) - An electrical fire Sunday afternoon left a Crothersville family of eight without anything. The fire was reported at 2:59 p.m. Sunday at their home on North East Street.

James Smallwood and his wife Tabitha and their six children ranging in age from 11 to two months, will be staying with family members.
The children lost everything including their school backpacks and winter coats.

Crothersville-Vernon Township Fire Chief Lynn Howard said while he could not completely confirm the cause of the fire, it was likely an electrical problem with an outlet in a bedroom.
Also assisting at the scene were Jackson-Washington firefighters. Firefighters were on the scene until 7:30 p.m.

The family was on their way to Spring Mill State Park when the fire broke out.

No one was hurt although the family's two pet dogs and a cat were in the one-story, wood-frame home. All the animals got out, but one dog ran back in and had to be rescued. He was given some oxygen after suffering smoke inhalation.

The family does have insurance, but the Jackson County chapter of the American Red Cross put the family up in a Seymour motel.

Donna Smallwood, James mother, is taking donations for the family. Donations can be dropped off at her home at 406 N. Jackson Street, or call her at 793-3701. The Crothersville-Vernon Township Fire Department's Ladies Auxiliary is also collecting donations of clothing for the family. They can be contacted by calling 793-3473 and leave a message.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page