Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, September 21, 2011
(OWENSBURG) - An Owensburg public meeting on post office closures is set for next Monday.
The residents of Owensburg will voice concerns about the closing of their post office at a meeting Monday at 7 p.m.
The meeting, at the Owensburg-Jackson Township Fire Station, is part of a discontinuation of service feasibility study being conducted by the U.S. Postal Service.
Town patrons met two weeks ago to discuss the suspension of postal service and at the time had requested an official meeting with postal officials to be conducted Sept. 20.
That date was too quick for the U.S. Postal Service, who instead mailed notices of the upcoming meeting to postal patrons on Monday.
The Owensburg Post Office was placed under emergency suspension Aug. 20 due to lack of qualified personnel, according to a letter mailed to patrons.
According to the postal service notification letter:
* There are a number of alternate sites within a short radius of this office to provide services.
*If the post office is discontinued and you have a post office box, you can have box delivery at Bloomfield.
* To request delivery; submit a request for establishment of rural delivery service, PS Form 4027. This form is available at Bloomfield Post Office.
* Submit responses no later than Oct. 6, 2011.
* You may submit your questionnaire at the Sept. 26, 2011 meeting or hand deliver it to Bloomfield or mail it to the address given in the letter.
* Any information or responses you furnish will be visible to others.
* A proposal may be submitted prior to the community meeting. This proposal will further explain the nature and justification of the proposed change in service.
* Comments from the questionnaire, community meeting and proposal will be considered prior to making a final determination.
* If you have any questions concerning this study contact Judy Bays, District Discontinuance Coordinator Contact at (317) 870-8594.
Local responses will be included in the study and considered before any final determination is made. By postal service calculations, the Bloomfield Post Office is located 19 miles from Owensburg. Residents are concerned about traveling that far to get their mail.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page