WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Marshall Firefighters Clear Toddler's Airway

Last updated on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

(BEDFORD) - Marshall Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chad Hayes says by the “grace of God” he was able to remove a small toy from the airway of a toddler.

Firefighters went to a home in the 3600 block of Old Ind. 37 North, Monday afternoon after a 911 call reporting an 18-month old had a toy stuck in her throat.

"It was a small egg-shaped toy," Hayes said. "At first we thought it was an egg, and for a few minutes we were concerned that if we tried to remove it we might push it further down her airway."

The female child was breathing and crying when firefighters arrived.

"Those are good signs," Hayes says. "The airway was compromised, but not totally blocked. By the grace of God the toy turned just a little and I was able to get my finger behind it and remove it."

Small objects can be dangerous to small children. A good tip to remember is never give a child anything that is small enough to fit through a paper towel or toilet paper roll, Hayes added.

The child was not injured and did not go to the hospital. Marshall VFD was assisted by an I.U. Health Hospital ambulance crew.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page