News Sections
Marshall Firefighters Clear Toddler's Airway
Updated May 5, 2013 1:04 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Marshall Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chad Hayes says by the "grace of God" he was able to remove a small toy from the airway of a toddler.

Firefighters went to a home in the 3600 block of Old Ind. 37 North, Monday afternoon after a 911 call reporting an 18-month old had a toy stuck in her throat.

"It was a small egg-shaped toy," Hayes said. "At first we thought it was an egg, and for a few minutes we were concerned that if we tried to remove it we might push it further down her airway."

The female child was breathing and crying when firefighters arrived.

"Those are good signs," Hayes says. "The airway was compromised, but not totally blocked. By the grace of God the toy turned just a little and I was able to get my finger behind it and remove it."

Small objects can be dangerous to small children. A good tip to remember is never give a child anything that is small enough to fit through a paper towel or toilet paper roll, Hayes added.

The child was not injured and did not go to the hospital. Marshall VFD was assisted by an I.U. Health Hospital ambulance crew.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File