WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Heat Lamp Blamed For Causing House Fire

Last updated on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

(BEDFORD) - A fire Monday morning destroyed a home on Edgewood Drive.

Robin and Jill Roberts were not home when the fire started.

The fire was reported after neighbors saw smoke and called Jill Roberts, who works at IU Health Bedford Hospital. She walked home and firefighters were called at 10:42 a.m.

Heavy smoke was coming from the attic area of the house and the roof when firefighters arrived.

"The fire had been smoldering for some time, so it had a head start," says Bedford Fire Department Chief Jon Wagner. "The men did an excellent job bring it under control."

Two dogs died in the blaze, but firefighters were able to save the family's cat after finding it in the smoke-filled basement.

"We gave it a little oxygen and the little fellow came around," says Wagner.

Bedford Fire Department investigator Brent Allen believes the fire was cause by a heat lamp that was left on.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page