WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire At Manchester Tank

Last updated on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

(BEDFORD) - Firefighters responded to Manchester Tank Tuesday morning after a fire started in a roller pit.

Bedford Fire Department Chief Jon Wagner said firefighters arrived at 10:12 a.m. to smoke rolling out of the building.

"All the employees were evacuated when we arrived," Wagner said. "Employees tried to extinguish the flames to no avail. One man became over come with smoke and we administered some oxygen to him and he was ok."

The fire started when hydraulic fluid ignited from an electrical short in the equipment or from a spark from a welder, Wagnor said.

There was no major damage to the building. Most of the area where the fire started is concrete and steel. There may have been some minimal damage to the equipment, Wagnor added.

"Things went great and I'm very pleased," Wagnor said. "Shift one did everything according to the book. I put my gear in the car because these fires can get out of hand quickly. Its a winner we got it out quickly. People still have their jobs and the business is still operating."

The company located at 905 X Street, makes containers to hold propane gas, compressed air and chemicals under pressure. The Bedford facility had been owned by Brunner Engineering & Manufacturing. Manchester bought the company in 2000.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page