WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Teacher Critically Injured In Gasoline Explosion

Last updated on Monday, January 4, 2010

(MITCHELL, IN) - A Mitchell elementary school teacher was severely burned at his home on New Year’s Day.

Kurt Ramey, a 4th grade teacher at Mitchell's Burris Elementery School was taken to Dunn Memorial Hospital in Bedford and then flown to Wishard Memorial Hospital in Indianapolis.

As of Friday night Ramey was being treated in Wishard's burn unit, listed in critical condition.

Fire officials say that Ramey was attempting to build a fire inside a wood stove in his backyard; igniting it with gasoline.

When Ramey lite the fire, it reportedly exploded causing the man's injuries.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page