WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Three Escape Bloomington House Fire

Last updated on Tuesday, December 1, 2009

(BLOOMINGTON, IN) - Three people escaped a Bloomington house fire over the weekend.

According to Bloomington fire Chief Roger Kerr, fire crews were called to 2315 South Rogers Street at around 3:47AM Sunday morning.

When firefighters arrived at the residence, flames were coming out of three sides of the single story house.

Kerr says that fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze fairly quickly and that the owner of the house and her two sons managed to escape the blaze without injury.

Firefighters have yet to determine the exact cause of the fire but early reports indicate the cause was probably accidental.

The home, which was without electricity or gas a the time of the fire, was damaged quite extensively.

Kerr says that the fire may have been started by a candle which could have been left burning in the bathroom.

There is also the possibility of the fire being started by a running generator which powered lights and a toaster oven through extension cords.

The family's dog, which was caged in the basement also survived the fire without injury.

The American Red Cross is now assisting the family with a place to stay, food and clothing.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page