(BEDFORD) - A Bedford officer got a bit of a scare when a 14-year-old boy collapsed on Washington Avenue right in front of his police cruiser.
Bedford Police Chief Dennis Parsley tells WBIW News an officer was driving on Washington when he saw the teen wobbling along the side of the roadway, and when the officer approached, he fell over on the pavement of the road.
The officer stopped traffic and got the boy to Dunn Memorial Hospital to be looked over, where it was determined he had inhaled air from a can of "Dust Off."
The process, sometimes known as doing "whippets" or "goofballs," involves inhaling the propellant in aerosol cans, which is usually butane.
While doing so may provide a cheap high, it can also injure and kill, either by cardiac arrest or asphyxiation, otherwise known as "Sudden Sniffer's Death."
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org