News Sections
Audio
Burning Trash Sparks 8.5 Acre Field Fire
Updated May 5, 2013 1:01 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Three more fires had to be fought by Lawrence County volunteer firefighters yesterday, one of which required 21 firefighters from 5 different fire departments to put out.

Marshall Township Volunteer Fire Chief Chad Hayes tells us his crews arrived at the scene of a fire on Bennett Road yesterday around 1:45pm that had already burned up to 3.5 acres near a section of woodland area. Hayes says while fighting the blaze his tanker ran out of water, and the wind shifted with the afternoon's storms moving closer.

By the time all was said and done, crews from Perry and Shawswick Townships, Oolitic Fire, Monroe County crews and firefighters from the forestry service were called in, and around 8.5 acres were burned.

The cause of yesterday's fire? A single bag of burning trash.

Hayes says in the past 11 days, the Marshall Township alone has had 5 field fires, 4 starting from controlled burns, and another from a cigarette butt.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2014 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  About  |  Feedback