(BEDFORD) - E-mails have started going out this morning to people in and around Lawrence County, supposedly from Hoosier Hills Credit Union, telling people their information could not be verified.
The e-mail bears Hoosier Hills' specific logo and a web address that looks legitimate, however, when you click on the link, it leads you elsewhere.
The dangerous part of this scam, however, is that the website it leads you to is an exact copy of the actual Hoosier Hills Credit Union website login screen, which means, unless you kept an eye on the specific address bar on top of your web browser, you wouldn't notice something was amiss.
Jason Mullis, of Hoosier Hills Credit Union tells WBIW News he has heard reports of other local financial institutions being affected as well, however, the Hoosier Hills e-mail is the only one WBIW News has been able to confirm so far.
Mullis also passed along some tips to keep you safe from such website scams including:
- Never follow links from a supposed bank telling you to click on a link and enter your information into their website. It is a universal practice that banks will never ask you to go to a website and enter personal info. Obviously, they already have it, and the internet is not a way to re-obtain it should it go missing.
- If you have entered your information in the fake Hoosier Hills website, or any other bank website you went to via an e-mail link, contact your financial institution immediately. Your information may have been compromised.
- If you have received this e-mail but have done nothing with it, just delete it. It's a scam. Plain and simple.
- If your information/identity has been compromised, contact police as well as your financial institution. The Bedford Police Department can be reached at 275-3311, Mitchell Police Department at 849-2151, and Lawrence County Sheriff's Department at 275-3316.
- If you are a Hoosier Hills Credit Union member and are concerned about the safety of your assets or information, you can call them at (800) 865-2612, or log on to their (actual) website, at https://www.hoosierhillscu.org/.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org