Updated 6/8/2008 with closures and updated warnings
(INDIANAPOLIS) - Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels has declared the northern half of the WBIW listening area a "disaster area," including Lawrence County.
Daniels declared 41 Hoosier counties a disaster area yesterday, making them eligible for federal disaster aid.
Counties in the disaster declaration include Brown, Greene, Lawrence, Morgan and Owen, however, the Counties of Orange, Washington, Martin and others further south and east seem to have been safe from this round of severe weather.
State, county and local police encourage travelers/residents to not call them about detours, rerouting or other non-emergency calls. In many cases, detours are not available since backup roads are also flooded.
General flood warnings have been declared for Bartholomew, Jackson, Lawrence, Southeastern Monroe, Western Jennings, Daviess, Southern Greene, Knox, and Martin Counties until 7:30am Monday, 6/9/2008.
Two fatalities and 1 injury have been confirmed as a result of the storms and subsequent flooding.
Road closures/emergency updates
- Several county roads are closed, list yet to come
- IN-37, US-50 still reportedly okay
- Rivervale: Flood warning until further notice. River levels expected almost 11 feet above flood stage causing possible evacuations near Fort Ritner and blocking several county roads.
- Bedford: Flood warning until Wednesday morning. River levels expected about 8 feet over flood stage causing backwater into Leatherwood Creek to possible flood I Street south of town.
- Williams: Flood warning until further notice. River levels expected 7 feet over flood stage blocking IN-450, CR400 South and CR1000 W (Dillman Rd)
- Old 37 North closed due to bridge being out just north of Anderson Road
- Main Street into Stinesville closed
- 7900 block of Fox Hollow Road
- 1000 block of Hacker's Creek Place
- 6000 N Mt Tabor Road
- Market Street in Stinesville has been evacuated
- 7500 West Walker Lane
- 1300 Bryants Creek Road
- Sycamore Street in Stinesville has been evacuated
- 5800 block of Walker Lane has been evacuated
- Northshore Drive at Anderson Road
- Tecumseh at Seneca in Arrowhead Addition (Ellettsville)
- Union Valley Road at Richland Plaza Drive
- 5000 block of West IN-46 in Ellettsville is closed
- IN-157 north of Worthington closed
- IN-157 east of Worthington closed
- IN-48 between Worthington & Jasonville closed
- Jasonville: Boil order until further notice
- IN-135 north of Nashville closed
- Lake Lemon "Melvin Road Area" attempting to evacuate people at this time - flooding is extreme.
- Near Gold Point - dams are nearing collapse
- Sweetwater Area is experiencing heavy flooding
- IN-37 near Waverly closed
- IN-67 north of Paragon closed
- Local roads throughout district experiencing flooding
- At 1450 Princess Lake in Johnson/Brown County, water has breached its dam.
- Sweetwater Lake has an emergency spillway and is secure at this time
- Lamb Lake has breached the main lake and has spilt over into the 2nd lake below. Water has dropped 50 feet.
- The Indiana National Guard is at Lake Lemon and assisting with people in the area.
- The City of Spencer is experiencing a critical flood state. Dams in Owen County area are on the verge of collapsing. Indiana State Police encourage all motorists to avoid Owen County.
- Stay away from US-231. Dam about to break at Coon Path
- IN-46 west of Spencer is closed due to bridge being out
- IN-67 is not passable from US-231 due to the possible dam break
- Essentially the City of Spencer is under water and most of the remainder of Owen County flooded
- Motorists are stranded in parts throughout Owen County
- Spencer: Flood warning until late Thursday evening. River levels are forecast to rise almost 12 feet over flood stage, causing Owen County Fairgrounds to flood and floodwaters to appear in Spencer proper.
- I-65 partially open from Edinburgh to Columbus
- No detour available due to extensive flooding of nearby roads
- Columbus Hospital evacuated. National Guard deployed to provide security. Family members should call 812-372-3789 to find patients that have been relocated from the hospital
- Seymour: Flood warning along East Fork until Thursday evening. Levels expected almost 7 feet above flood stage, requiring extensive evacuations.
- Shoals: Flood warning until further notice. River levels expected almost 5 feet over flood stage causing flooding along East & West River Road, Spout Spring Road, IN-550 in two places, a county road near Beech Creek, chicken farm road & cemetery road. High water forms at least one island. Two families must walk or take boats to leave.
Current Disaster Declarations:
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com