WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Officials Offer Power Generator Safety Tips

Last updated on Monday, January 14, 2008

(UNDATED) - In light of the recent flooding in Northwest Indiana and scattered power outages, a state official is advising caution with the use of generators.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, in 1999, generators were associated with 6-percent of the total yearly estimated carbon monoxide poisoning deaths associated with all consumer products, compared to 24-percent in 2002.

The Indiana Department of Homeland Security recommends smoke detectors in all homes, not just those with generators. The monitors should be placed between any items that might produce carbon monoxide and sleeping areas.

Devices that produce carbon monoxide include fuel- burning surfaces, space heaters, stoves and fireplaces.

The department recommends that when using a generator in the home: do not use indoors, even inside a garage, adequately ventilate the area, consult the owner's manual for refueling practices and connect equipment directly to the generator.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page