News Sections
Officials Offer Power Generator Safety Tips
Updated May 5, 2013 12:59 AM | Filed under: Network Indiana
 Print    Archive    RSS

(UNDATED) - In light of the recent flooding in Northwest Indiana and scattered power outages, a state official is advising caution with the use of generators.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, in 1999, generators were associated with 6-percent of the total yearly estimated carbon monoxide poisoning deaths associated with all consumer products, compared to 24-percent in 2002.

The Indiana Department of Homeland Security recommends smoke detectors in all homes, not just those with generators. The monitors should be placed between any items that might produce carbon monoxide and sleeping areas.

Devices that produce carbon monoxide include fuel- burning surfaces, space heaters, stoves and fireplaces.

The department recommends that when using a generator in the home: do not use indoors, even inside a garage, adequately ventilate the area, consult the owner's manual for refueling practices and connect equipment directly to the generator.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File